The village of East Calder is built on four estates. The largest part of the village was built on the Calderhall Estate which extended South of a line from the bridge between East and Mid Calder to the East Kirk burn and along Main Street to Park Avenue. A wall and hedge denoted the Eastern boundary there.
To the West of Park Avenue the land was part of the Almondell Estate owned by the Earl of Buchan. South of the Calderhall Estate was the Langton Estate. The land North of Main Street between the East Kirk burn and the boundary of Almondell Estate was owned by the Pumpherston or McLaggen Estate.
The making of the roads further increased the population. After the 1745 rebellion, road making was in full swing. The road through the village was known as the Great Turnpike Road. Previously used by the drovers who herded their beasts from Edinburgh, others drove their cattle from the Highlands and Islands via Perth, Crieff, Falkirk and Linlithgow to Mid Calder which was a market village, hence Market Street.
With the widening of the road many local people were employed, among them some of the small landowners. The wages earned enabled them to purchase more land and as a result there were more grazing cows in the district. The district was situated in
Mid Lothian at this period of time and, with part of West Lothian, supplied Edinburgh with a large share of butter and buttermilk.
With the advent of the Railway in 1846 the population of the villages increased. East Calder in 1861 had a population of 552, in 1871 it was 589, in 1881 the total was 754 and in 1891 it grew to 974. Today it is in the region of 5,600.
The 7 Wells
There were seven wells in the village. Five were situated in the Main Street and two in the "Brick Raw", so called because the houses were built of brick, whereas the village was predominantly stone built. The name for this part of the village is Burnside Terrace.
The wells were in the village before the 1900's. At this time, the East Kirk burn was forded with a wooden bridge spanning the waters for the use of pedestrians. The East Kirk burn is now piped under Main Street but it can still be seen in the park and down Burnside Terrace where it then flows freely into the River Almond.